The question of “what to get for the woman who has everything” may seem like it’s meant only for those who are rich, but perhaps it is more truly for the person who is rich in years. As women approach sixty, they are generally more in touch and at peace with who they are. They’ve moved beyond their child-bearing years, have long-established friendships, and generally have an air of confidence. If they have an interest they are willing to indulge it and they have their own unique sense of fashion and a closet that supports it. So what do you get for a woman over sixty? Something that shows that you understand who she is and that you love her for it. Make sure that the gift that you choose is a reflection of the interests she has expressed … after all, you wouldn’t buy workout gear for a woman who has eschewed exercise, or knitting supplies for a person who has two left thumbs. Here are some unexpected gift ideas that women over sixty will love.
• Buying something elegant and fun is always a good idea. After all, she’s over sixty, but that doesn’t mean that she doesn’t love romance, entertaining, and setting a mood. Beautiful candles that can be used whether she’s enjoying time by herself or having people over are always a welcome gift.
• Women never stop checking themselves out in the mirror, so consider a fancy little compact that she can slip into her purse for a quick reapplication of lipstick.
• They may not be sexy, but a pair of really luxurious shearling slippers are exactly the kind of thing that people tend not to buy for themselves, but truly appreciate. These are especially nice in the cold winter months, and you’ll be thought of every time she slips them on.
• The over-sixty set has thoroughly embraced yoga, and if your mom, aunt, sister or friend is one who is addicted to this exercise, pick up a mat that stands out in a crowd. The Internet is loaded with beautiful options that will tell everybody which spot in the studio is hers.
• She may have collected a lifetime’s worth of jewelry, but the big, blingy pieces that are in style right now are a joy to every woman. Indulge her sense of style with a bold personalized cuff or a sparkly necklace or pair of earrings that may not be real, but are oh-so-much-fun. A cute sparkly clutch is also a great gift.
• There’s no such thing as a bad massage, or so my friends love to say. You can never go wrong with a gift certificate to a local spa, whether it’s for a manicure, pedicure, facial or hot stone massage. She’ll love the pampering, especially if you let her choose the service she wants.
• Is she a grandma? A travel addict? A gardener? If so then she probably has tons of pictures that need to be organized. Another gift certificate idea that will be truly appreciated is the gift of a photo book from one of the many online services that allow you to upload photos and organize your books in unlimited ways.
• When she’s going out at night and there’s a chill in the air, she’ll appreciate a soft, warm wrap that she can just throw on and go. Stick with basic colors like black, cream or a shimmery silver or gold if you want her to get a ton of use out of it, or if she has a flair for the dramatic pick out something that’s bold and brilliant.